Monday, September 1, 2008

Catching up with EJ

Since we last saw him in Guatemala, Eddie Johnson has moved clubs. Just after returning to England, Eddie made the switch to Cardiff City, completing a season-long loan deal with the Welsh side that plays in the English League Championship. We tracked Eddie down after training to get his thoughts on the switch.

"It was a good opportunity for me considering my playing time for Fulham has been really limited," said Eddie. "It [the loan move] was with a team that has been following me and a team that has a lot of belief in me. At the end of the day, I'm 24 and need to be playing games week in and week out."

"The move just made sense when Cardiff came in and showed the commitment they had in me; they wanted me to be a part of the team as they go for success on the field this season."

After moving to Cardiff this week, Eddie has already featured twice in Bluebirds' games - once in their Carling Cup victory over MK Dons and this past Saturday as a sub in the 0-0 draw against Sheffield United. Despite getting those games under his belt, Eddie said that it will still take time to get adjusted to his new surroundings.

"I'm still fairly new in Europe and this is my second team. It will take some time to get adjusted and to get to know my teammates and the city. But I'm definitely looking forward to this. Before I signed, I went to their home game and the crowd gave me a standing ovation."

"That really showed me how happy they are to have me there and what kind of belief they have in me as a player. I want to go and work hard to be successful for a club like that."

1 comment:

Justin de Leon said...

Im just watching the end of the Tnt US game and EJ's short performance only reinforces my feelings about his recent form.

I was so happy that S.Hislop saw it because I was wondering the same thing..."where is EJ?" He wasnt working hard, only touched the ball no more than three times (one of them a mistouch) and was NOT dangerous at all. It seems like he doesnt even want to be out on the field.

What is wrong with our forwards? Ching, though great on the ball, cant score (and his goal today was hardly his doing) and EJ has no heart. The best forward play comes from our midfielders.

Lets get some forwards out there that want to be out there.